Circle of Wind in the Willows

 This in-class exercise was much more than just a physical activity, but also an emotional test of trust within the group of people. As many of use were required to participate in the middle of this "trust circle," you could see the facial expressions on each face which showed their extent of certainty they had in the people carrying them. On the outside, it was interesting to see how each person would personally handle their experience. Many were hesitant to participate in the middle because it was going into a state of complete vulnerability within a group of people you aren't fully close to. Everyone on the outside had an equal understanding of how they had to individually support those on the inside, and by doing this we created a group dynamic that fully carried the weight of the exercise. At first, it was hard for me to understand why we were doing this exercise and how to comprehend that the people on the inside were going into an emotional state dependent on those around them. I observed how people were laughing as a coping mechanism in a place of stress, or making faces of discomfort when in the middle. I also continued to wonder on the outside what the person in the inside was thinking, and what there mental state was. As I soon figured out, my mental state when in the inside was going into a place of complete "zone out," or relaxation due to my trust of those around me. Although I'm sure this can't be said for everyone that was in the inside, I truly felt fully supported by those around me, which further allowed my mindset to go to a place of meditation. At first in the inside I didn't feel this way because of my inability to fully allow my body to complete what I was asking of it. Although I was not scared and trusted the support of those around me, my body felt as if I shouldn't allow myself to complete the exercise. I eventually understood the physical part of it, but I also think my body later allowed me to fully fall in support of the group. This exercise truly furthered the group's trust for one another by allowing us to all reach a state of vulnerability. By doing this, we all have a deeper understanding and trust within the group by allowing each other to express fear and insecurities without feeling judged or unsupported.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privilege Walk

Just a Family Member?